Saturday, April 3, 2010

Just when it can't get any weirder......enter stage race.

I am riding along the trail and I see some tents in a clearing further down below in the valley. Kept going and I notice a Intense 29'er leaning up against a tent so I duck in off the trail to take a closer look and stumble into a 36 hour mountain bike stage race complete with a Weimaraner and a Steve Potts hard tail kicking about to draw me in further. I should also mention this was not in a prominent parking lot it was like running into a race set up in the middle of 3 stages.

Hung out here a bit and spoke with the organizer who had the date pushed back to this weekend due the snow. Just when you think 24 hours races are the norm this shows you there are a whole flock of endurance junkies that want to raise the bar.

They gave me this stage pass a souvenir and were explaining the format to me as well. Sounds like a great event and also a great way of learning the trails in the forest as they cover a ton of terrain. The event was called the PISGAH 36.



**Update:
apparently only 2 of the 40 or so racers actually completed this event.